Saturday, March 10, 2007

Mixed English

That's me. I am Goku. I am a Super Saiyan


As usual, I would like to thank Yulia because she is the only one who gave me a comment on my previous blog. Thank you Yulia :P


I think there is a common problem between us, students who are learning English. I believe that the problem is what I call MIXED ENGLISH problem. Actually my definition will be a kind of long definition. You will understand what I mean by reading through my blog.
To us, english learners, one of the way to practice our listening skills is to watch movies, listen to musics and so on. May be through doing these activities we are learning how to speak as well. Anyways, the way to learn through these activities is catch up some vocabularies, and see the way the actors or singers are pronouncing. However, I think that right now there are two main "type" of English. There is the British English and there is the American English. Yes both of them are English, yet there are some differences in pronunciations, spelling, meaning and the use of some words. Examples: Often is pronounced with a silent "t" in American English; however, the "t" is pronounced in the British. As for the spelling, red, blue, green and yellow are "colours" in British English, whereas in American English, they are "color". Moving to meanings "subway" is an underground road in British English. In American English, it is a restaurant!! hahahahahah just kidding. I can't actually remember an example of meaning differences. Anyways, in Canada, we use a combination of both. We can say that both English are accepted. So, when it comes to us, we are more likely to have English that is a combination. As I mentioned, when watching Harry Potter, for example, we may learn how to pronounce a specific word. And when we watch Spider Man, For example, we may learn how to pronounce another word, yet this word may not be pronounced the same way. Therefore, when we speak we will have a combination of both Englishe"s". I have been into many situations when people would correct my English because it is not pronounced this way in this place. Last time I went to TRAVEL CUTS I was pronouncing DIRECT with a strong "i" and the agent was correcting my "DIRECT" into a soft "i" Anyways, I am sure that many of us has been into similar situations

3 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

That's so weird that the lady in Travel Cuts was correcting your pronunciation of direct. I think I say both ways depending on how I feel . . . Have you heard of the song "some say tomato, some say tomato, tomato, tomato, potato, potato . . . "

Alif said...

This is one of the best blogs that I have ever read. Really, I didn't htink about it before. I like the blogs.

Felice said...

You should have really really emphasized that "i" that she bothered to correct your pronunciation :))